Monday, March 29, 2010

Floredah

Went home to Florida earlier this month to visit family and take in Plant City's annual claim to fame, the Strawberry Festival.  It's always a warm trip down memory lane going home: smell of the house I grew up in, relaxing on the back porch listening to the birds chirping, well stocked refrigerator.

They put me right to work the day after I arrived, whipping cream for my parents church Strawberry Shortcake booth.  It paid off with a free shortcake at the end!  Little bit of heaven those things.

I hadn't been to the fair in over 10 years I'd guess and it was still such a treat.  I had a new appreciation for the ride decorations.  I admired the colorful faux style of painting, even if they weren't well executed or kitschy cheese.  (I like cheesy sometimes, especially when there's that tinge of nostalgia accompanying it.)

Next year I'd like to do a series of photographs of all the concession stands there.  Those were something special too.  So much diversity in signage and lure of advertisement.  Maybe I'll hit up the festival circuit this summer around the Pennsylvania territory?


(That photo above is called 'Boy on Ferris Wheel with beach ball'.)

No comments: